Most people refer to these delicious cookies as Mexican Wedding Cakes. We have always referred to them as Christmas Snowballs because they look just like snowballs covered in powdered sugar!
45 mins / 20 min prep
- 1/2 lb butter, at room temperature, about
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans (about 4 oz.)
- In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Add to butter mixture, stir to mix, then beat until well blended.
- Stir in pecans.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place about 1 inch apart on buttered 12 by 15 inch baking sheets.
- Bake at 300 degrees in a regular or convection oven until cookies are pale golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- If baking two sheets at once in the oven, switch their positions halfway through baking.
- Let cookies stand on sheets until cool enough to handle.
- Place remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar in a shallow bowl.
- roll warm cookies in powdered sugar to coat all over; discard remaining sugar.
- Set cookies on racks to cool completely.